The witness roster for the peculiarly timed Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions entitled "Building a 21st Century FDA: Proposals to Improve Drug Safety and Innovation" has been filled. The hearing will occur November 16, Thursday at 10 AM in Room 430 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.
- Ms. Sheila Burke, co-Chair, Committee on the Assessment of the U.S. Drug Safety System, Institute of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
- Ms. Diane Thompson, Vice President, Public Policy and Communications, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Steven Nissen, Chairman, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- Dr. Adrian Thomas, Vice President, Benefit-Risk Management, Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Group, Horsham, PA
- Mr. Jim Guest, President & CEO, Consumers Union, Yonkers, New York
- Mr. Greg Simon, President, FasterCures, Washington, D.C.
Note that Dr. Steven Nissen, an FDA Advisory Committee member, was a key figure in assessing risk associated with COX-2s during the special advisory committee meetings held in relation to that class of drugs.